Tuesday

The Inverted U Approach for People


When it comes to watercolour painting, I call myself a "perpetual student" but what I am, in fact, is a "perpetual beginner".

So when I'm taking online classes, the level of the teaching is not always mine, but also the style of the teacher or his/her teaching may not be something that I'm wanting to adopt. Even beginners have the right to choose whether they want to paint like Picasso or Michelangelo!

Craftsy has been offering free classes for a few days, and I took one from Suhita Shirodkar. Every professional urban sketcher recommends her so I watched her "Figure Sketching Made Simple" class and, well, it's just not for me.

Then I found Suma CM - another instructor of Indian origin but without Suhita's adorable English accent - and her style and approach are much closer to what I think I can achieve. And she devotes a chapter to people in her course which she calls "Urban Sketching in 15 Minutes a Day".

Okay, I won't bore you any longer, and get to the point, which is this page that I devoted to her people examples, and a few dabs of skin colour mixes that come from her and other sources.

If you've seen my post on populating landscapes, you will note a certain resemblance with some of my earlier trials, except that I found her instructions easier to follow. Starting with an inverted U - I prefer to call it a bell - is certainly something that I could live with.



Click to enlarge.

They look kind of silly isolated on a page like this, but imagine them in a cityscape like this one, which is by the author of another Craftsy class I'm studying, James Richards.

Click to enlarge.


No comments:

Post a Comment