Sunday

The Perils Of Drawing With Ink

This is a self-imposed assignment that I gave myself because I'm between courses this week-end. Sketchbook Skool ended on Friday, and Koosje Koene's Draw It Like It's Hot starts on Monday.

Compare the copy with the original*, and you'll see why if it hadn't been for Tommy Kane's voice in my head, saying "Finish the Drawing!", I would have scrapped my first attempt.

Oh, well, those are the perils of drawing with ink--as in no pencils allowed at all!

Click to enlarge


Click to enlarge

By the way, if you can't find the mistake at first glance, you're in good company (maybe)! When I uploaded the sketch to the skool site, Tommy himself commented, "If you didn't say anything I would never have noticed." Perhaps he was just being nice.

I can't help wondering if and how the mistake could have been avoided by using Marc Taro Holmes' "dot plotting" technique--if only I could figure out how to apply it to my own drawings.

The other part that bothered me was how the words "Ontario Fruit" had turned out. I must have been very tired when I got there--the drawing took several hours--and afterwards I felt I could have done better.

So this morning I re-did that part. Just to see if I could. I'm glad I didn't realize I would spend HOURS copying two words!

As an exercise in patience and "seeing" (looking at the shapes, not the subject), it was worth it, and I like how it turned out--don't you?

Pilot Drawing Pen, Watercolour Pencil (for the red),
Tombow Calligraphy Pen (for the black)

* I took the photo afterwards; the drawing was done from the actual basket.


No comments:

Post a Comment