Friday

Practise Makes Perfect?

I'm not really after perfection, I just want to feel confident when I trace a line with a pen. I want my hand to draw what my brain wants it to draw.

Although it's true that some seem to be born with a talent for drawing, for the rest of us folks it's all about practise, practise, practise. So they say.

I've had The Technical Pen (subtitled Techniques for Artists, by Gary Simmons) in my library for many years, and I'm finally getting around to doing the exercises.

This is my first offering--it's a selection from page 70.

Micron Pigma 01 pen,  8.5 x 11 Strathmore sketchbook

This kind of work is so contemplative that I can't even tell you how many hours it took! Most of the afternoon, I think.

As you can see, I'm better at the patterns that seem more complicated, yet don't require too much initiative! That's why my favourites are 2, 4, 5 6, 10, 13 and 14.

More of this to come in the next few days.




By the way, if you're interested in technical pens that is THE book to get. But if you just want to draw with disposable ink pens (like the Microns that I use), or pens with nibs, or fountain pens, the information in the book is just as valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment